A character with this skill can place enchantments on items, provided they are in a location that allows Alchemy. This is typically performed at a workbench inside their Faction Stronghold, but may be done at a variety of locations.
- 5+5 MP per existing enchantment for clothing and armour.
- 5+10 MP per existing enchantment for weapons.
Potion: A specific potion based on the enchantment type is required and consumed each time an enchantment is performed.
Successfully placing an enchantment grants 15 XP with an additional 5 XP for each existing enchantment.
Weapons may hold up to 6 enchantments. Imbued Spells also take up an enchantment slot, but may be applied to an item that already has all of its slots full.
Placing a single "damage type" enchantment on a weapon that differs from the weapons natural damage type will change it's damage type to match the enchantment applied.
Multiple "damage type" enchantments on weapons causes the weapon to deal +1 damage for each identical enchantment after the first.
This allows for a total of +5 or +6 damage.
The exception to this is enchanting grenades. Grenades receive half the damage boost from enchantment on the first enchantment layer (if it changes the damage type) and receive the full damage bonus afterward when the enchantment damage type matches the grenade's damage type. The full damage bonus for grenades is +10 for single target and +100 for total damage, and the half damage bonus is +5 for single target and +50 for total damage. A fully enchanted grenade receives +55 or +60 single target damage and +550 or +600 total damage.
Armor may hold up to 10 enchantments, except for Heavy armor which may hold up to 14.
Clothing may hold up to 6 enchantments.
Placing multiple "damage type" enchantments on armor causes the armor to soak +1 damage for each enchantment(allowing for a total of +10 soak).
Placing multiple "defense" enchantments on armor causes the armor to grant 1% defense for each enchantment (allowing for a total of +10% defence).
If the piece of armour is at a higher than (average) quality than that armor behaves as if it had an additional enchant for every level of quality above (average).
Conversely every grade of quality below average will effectively reduce a piece of armors soak by 1.
This allows for a total of +12 soak / 12% dodge for the respective armor enchants above.
Characters with Enchant Item can see the exact order and composition of enchantment types on an item by hovering over the item in their inventory. Note this doesn't work on mobile at this time. Enchantments on armor and clothing will not stack with each other across pieces, instead you will get the highest benefit from any one item. For instance if you have 3 electric enchantments on a pair of shoes and 5 electric enchantments on a pair of pants, the total soak will be the highest of any single item. In this case the soak applied is +5 electric soak from the pair of pants.
Enchantments have a "duration", which has a certain amount of randomness for each enchant. Each time the item is used (to attack with weapons or to defend with armor/clothing), the duration of the most recent enchantment on the item is reduced by 1. Once this duration reaches zero, the most recent enchantment expires. If there are still enchantments remaining on the item, further uses of the item will cause the next most recent enchantment to decay, and so on until all of the enchantments are lost. An enchanted item has a flat 15% chance to have one enchantment decay at the death of its possessor.
Attacks by pets will not count against the duration of clothing and armor enchantments, but attacking a pet will still reduce the durations of the weapon enchantment as normal.
Damage Type / Soak
Unrestricted damage types
- Fire - Requires: Potion of Fire Affinity, knowledge of at least one learnt spell of the "Fire" type, including auras.
- Cold - Requires: Potion of Cold Affinity, knowledge of at least one learnt spell of the "Cold" type, including auras.
- Death - Requires: Potion of Death Affinity, knowledge of at least one learnt spell of the "Death" type, including auras.
Semi-Restricted Damage Types
- Electric - Requires: Potion of Electricity Affinity, knowledge of at least one learnt spell of the "Electric" type, including auras.
Dark Oppressors are unable to learn Electric spells so this damage type is restricted to Advocates and Conduits. Additionally Demons will suffer damage and gain Morality for using Electric weapons.
- Acid - Requires: Potion of Acid Affinity, knowledge of at least one learnt spell of the "Acid" type, including auras.
Advocates are unable to learn Acid spells so this damage type is restricted to Dark Oppressors and Conduits. Additionally Angels will suffer damage and lose Morality for using Acid weapons.
- Holy - Requires: Potion of Holy Affinity, Sanctify Spell skill. Characters that are not angelic will suffer damage for using Holy weapons.
Dark Oppressor Restricted
- Unholy - Requires: Potion of Unholy Affinity, Taint Spell skill. Characters that are not demonic will suffer damage if they use Unholy weapons.
- Arcane - Requires: Potion of Magic Recovery, Deep Spellcraft skill. Characters that are either demonic or angelic will suffer damage if they use Arcane weapons. Mortals and transcendants may use Arcane weapons freely.
- Durability - Requires: Potion of Invulnerability, knowledge of either Mystic Shield or Mystic Mail spell (reduces chance of degradation for weapons or armor by 1% - baseline is 3% for weapons, 4% for armor). Durability enchants on clothes protect armor by 1% if 3-4 enchants are on the clothing item and 2% is 5-6 enchants are on it.
- Accuracy/Defense - Requires: Potion of Combat Clarity, character must have Spell Combat. This increases attack chance by 5% for weapons, increases defense chance by 1% for armor and clothing. These enchantments stack with each other if they are placed on the same item - e.g. 5 Accuracy enchantments on a single clothing item would give a total of +5%. Only the highest defense bonus is used, so a character with +4% from one item and +5% from another only gains +5%. Even on Heavy armor, no more than 10 Defense enchants may be placed on a single item.
- Lighten - Requires: Potion of Flying, character must possess Cosmic Affinity skill (Increases character inventory by 1, plus also reduces item weight by 1 if it has weight, minimum of 1)
- Poison - Requires: Potion of Regeneration, character must possess Defiler's Poison skill, Shepherd's Heal Others skill, or Sorcerer's Heal Self skill (weapon inflicts Minor Poison with a successful hit; armor or clothing has a 50% chance of inflicting minor poison on attacker on a successful close-combat attack). Multiple Poison enchantments do not add together for a greater than 50% chance. This extends to wearing multiple items enchanted with Poison not triggering once for each item. Instead, the game only checks against the 50% chance once