Elysium is the refuge of the Angels. Only those who have dedicated themselves to the Word will respawn there. All others must find a path there, and will suffer harsh judgment if they are not properly prepared. Elysium is mostly pristine idyllic countryside, featuring lush orchards and clear, blue rivers. Rustic cottages and quaint inns dot the landscape, though there are also a handful of large, unique structures of great import to the Angels. The sun always shines in Elysium, bathing the land in perpetual day.
Some elder angels, as well as Nexal scholars such as Haldos, sometimes also refer to Elysium as Paradise.
However scenic they may be, Elysium's holy ground, soaring mountains and wide rivers make travel through parts of this plane a daunting task, and would-be explorers would be wise to learn how to swim - or better, to fly. Angels are just as vulnerable to drowning as mortals, but are sufficiently holy to pass through hallowed ground unscathed.
History and Geography
Though many strongly good-aligned Planes have existed that bore the name Elysium over the course of countless Breaths, the Elysium that is accessible in the present Breath is newly emerged into its present form. It came into being when a Plane that existed in balance - perhaps its breath's version of Valhalla - was simultaneously claimed by the forces of Good and Evil, each of which formed a plane in their own image that mirrored the other. Since neither could claim the upper hand, both Elysium and Stygia lived a shallow half-life as disorganized jumbles of heavenly and hellish terrain, a state of affairs in which no wonder could be found in Elysium and no terror could be found in Stygia.
This status quo existed for an unknowable amount of time, during which other, more viable, Elysiums formed and dissipated, but in the present Breath the stalemate of these languishing planes was broken through the intervention of Unaligned forces, which caused both Elysium and Stygia to shatter into a multitude of smaller planes that bear out their ideals more truly.
As a result of this turn of events, the plane of Elysium consists of six distinct regions, which float in the void separate from each other. They are:
- The Silent Battlefield, a solemn and empty wilderness that stands as a memorial to Angelkind's lost warriors.
- Xanadu, the idyllic paradise of Baraas along a winding river.
- Shehaqim, a remote monastery set in a misty mountain vale.
- Zion, the celestial bastion of Namm atop the clouds.
- Arcadia, the forest sanctuary of Alonai.
- Absolution, once the territory of the fallen angelic lord Azazel, now wrenched from the Holy Powers by Unaligned forces loyal to Marquai.
Traveling to Elysium
Through countless Breaths, many mortal faiths have taught that the way to Elysium is difficult and fraught with perils and temptations. However, during the Nexal Struggle the barriers between planes are weaker and there are easy ways to access the home of the angels. The easiest way is to be an Angel, as characters who ascend to become a Paladin or Shepherd will respawn in Elysium one-third of the time, a chance that rises to two-thirds upon choosing a Tier 3 angelic class such as a Seraph or Advocate. The Fallen, having forfeited their angelic blessings, will no longer respawn in Elysium so long as they remain Evil, while the Redeemed, having turned aside from their demonic past, will respawn in Elysium as if they were Tier 3 angels.
- A portal atop the summit of Mount Archimedes at 22,1 in the wilderness of Windfall Ridge, which brings cold mountain climbers to the Great Gear of Zion.
- An anomalous altar fresco within St. Clare's Cathedral at 24,26 in Wolverton, which beckons travelers to the haven of a Ward of Respite within Xanadu.
- A painted portrayal of paradise in the basement of Sunrise Community Church at 39,14 in Sunrise, which has taken on literal properties and leads to The Silent Battlefield.
- A wrought-iron gate at 11,29 in a hedgerow among the blueberry fields of Cimmeria, which now leads to the quiet forests of peaceful Arcadia.
- A current at 22,38 south of Wolverton, which carries travelers to the lake of Absolution.
Once within Elysium, travel throughout the plane can be achieved by finding bridges that connect the various demiplanes through the space between spaces that divides them. These passages can always be found on the edge of a neighborhood, and bridge to the geographically nearest neighborhood. While the spatial arrangement of Elysium is composed of mathematics that would baffle all but the most logical of Seraphim, the map can be considered spherical - that is, bridges exist on the far north of the map that link to the farthest south, and likewise the furthest east to the west.
Locations Found in Elysium
Locations found throughout Elysium:
- Hallowed Ground
- Idyllic Forest
- Idyllic Grassland
- Ivory Tower
- Lush Orchard
- Mountain Summit
- Radiant Armory
- Soul Orchard
- Vault of Enlightenment
- Ward of Respite
- Wooden Bridge
Locations unique to Arcadia:
- Birch Forest
- Birch Meadow
- Colonial Ship Deck
- Colonial Ship Central Deck
- Euphoria Asylum
- Great Elder Birch
- Idyllic Beach
- Idyllic Treehouse
- Lambent Conservatory
- Peaceful Sea
Locations unique to Zion:
Locations unique to Xanadu:
Locations unique to Shehaqim:
Locations unique to Absolution: